Endurance Adventures Beating Rheumatoid Arthritis

Friday, October 21, 2016

Triathlete Magazine Athlete Highlight

With Ironman's change to the snorkel rule (they are no longer allowing the use of a snorkel under any circumstance, up until now it has been allowed as a medical device to help an athlete with neck or breathing issues to swim. It disqualify the user from any podium finish and for qualifying for any championship race so the only advantage was medical necessity.) I tried to raise awareness and hoped to have them reconsider. It was my thought that maybe the did not fully understand what they were doing. Ironman has an amazing and inspiring theme of "Anything is Possible" they celebrate challenged athletes and make accommodations for other handicaps; rope to tie a blind athlete to a guide, a tricycle for a balance impaired athlete, etc. But apparently an athlete that medically needs a snorkel does not physically show enough signs of a physical handicap to warrant the same respect and consideration. I was deeply saddened by their response to not reconsider the rule change. I have loved being apart of Ironman. The energy and inspiration is amazing. As I was trying to gain support and help on the issue someone told Triathlete magazine about me and they contacted me to do an article. Attached is a link to the piece. http://triathlon.competitor.com/2016/07/features/faces-pack-managing_134604 UPDATE: In the spring of 2017 I had the pleasure of meeting Bob Babbitt, a legend in Ironman Triathlon, founder of Competitor Magazine which later became Triathlete magazine and also the founder of the Challenged Athlete Foundation. A mutual friend told him my story and he quickly started contacting top triathlon officials. He gave me phone numbers and email addresses for the correct people to talk to and together we were able to get the snorkel allowed again for athletes who physically need one to compete. It is now in Ironman's official rule book in the challenged athlete open division to allow for the use of a snorkel with medical necessity with medical documentation from a doctor. Thank you Bob

me and Bob Babbitt

0 comments: